CE was commissioned by the South Holland provincial executive to assess the feasibility of recycling hardwood mooring posts. It was found that a certain proportion of these posts are already recycled and so five recommendations were made as to how this number might be further increased:
- In specifications, drop the obligation to use new mooring posts.
- Set up a website to mediate sales of recycled posts.
- Inform post suppliers and users about recycling options and point them to the website.
- Introduce certification for batches of over (say) 10 recycled posts.
- Discourage retention of recycled posts for own use, to increase circulation on the open market.